With the Summer Solstice just around the corner, cities and towns all across Colorado are preparing for a season full of wildflowers, sunshine and blue skies.
Between the Colorado towns of Leadville, Aspen, Basalt, Eagle-Vail, Edwards, and Gunnison – you won’t just find a Roots Rx recreational cannabis dispensary, but a complete variety of beautiful parks, reservoirs, and nature trails for fun summer activities!
Consider this blog the ultimate guide full of tips and tricks to exploring Colorado with cannabis this summertime season – plus, learn where to shop Roots Rx along the way for all your recreational cannabis needs.
Springing into the May Summer Season
After a long and cold winter, dust off your summer sandals or hiking boots and get ready to adventure the great outdoors!
Whether you’re planning a new hiking trail to backpack or setting up a campsite within the mountains, it’s crucial to be aware of any fire bans or environmental advisories throughout the summer. When packing up and preparing for your outdoor adventure, remember the following:
- • The Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center and Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control will always have the latest, live updates of fire warnings and bans in the area.
- • Brush up on the Seven Care for Colorado Leave No Trace Principles for a positive camping experience for both you and your surrounding environment!
As May usually kicks off the shift into warmer weather and sunnier days, it’s still considered the off-season to many locals. During this time of the year, you may find lots of deals on lodging near the Colorado mountains – such as significant ski towns in Vail and Beaver Creek.
Summer Activities in Vail and Edwards, Colorado
Even with the ski season behind us, there are plenty of activities to enjoy in this Western Colorado area.
- • For those looking for a more relaxing and rejuvenating time within nature, why not soak in a natural hot springs bath? Spend the day relaxing in the hot springs at Iron Mountain hot springs, where you can swim in large hot spring pools and soak in all the beneficial minerals the water offers. Stop by our Roots Rx Eagle-Vail dispensary location on the way to grab a sweet edible or refreshing drink to enjoy by the water.
- • Further enhance your camping adventures with your favorite cannabis product! Whether it’s an infused food or beverage, a vape cartridge, or a classic joint – your method of consumption is up to you and the adventure that awaits.
A Lively and Lush June Summer
By the time the month of June comes around, the snow piles at high elevations will begin to melt away more and be replaced with beautiful wildflowers and lush green fields.
Outdoor camping and activities tend to get busier during this time, so it’s important to think ahead and make reservations on campsites or lodging where you plan to stay.
Even as a landlocked state, many summer activities in Colorado can bring people together to gather, swim, and hang around Rocky Mountain’s lakes and reservoirs.
Summer Activities to Do in Gunnison
Specifically in the town of Gunnison, you’ll find plenty of outdoor and water-based activities to get you exploring the Rocky Mountains. This major outdoor recreational city has reservoirs, lakes, mesas, and mountains all accessible to travel and explore.
Many of these summer activities include paddleboarding, kayaking, dirt biking, rock climbing, and white water rafting. Go for a refreshing swim at the Blue Mesa Reservoir and Colorado beach.
- • Don’t forget to stop by the nearby Roots Rx dispensary in Gunnison to grab a couple of Ripple’s fast-acting THC quick sticks for when you’re hanging by the lake!
Another fun group activity this summer includes hosting the ultimate BBQ cookout! Find a scenic campsite in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park to gather with family and friends.
- • Ditch the traditional trail mix or chips and choose from Roots Rx’s delicious cannabis-infused products, like Sweet Mary Jane’s 10:1 CBD/THC infused popcorn to the BBQ! Play bartender and make a Colorado Sunrise Cannabis mocktail as a fun refreshment.
Exploring Mountain Ranges and Reservoirs in July
By the time July rolls around, the energy of summertime is in full swing! Considering the exceptional summer weather and stunning views within the entire state, the camping activities and plans fill up quickly.
Summer activities are busier than ever and towns throughout Colorado are bustling with enthusiastic tourists and visitors ready to explore the Rocky Mountains. Be sure to research and reserve any camping or hiking plans in July.
Of the many mountain towns and cities to explore, Aspen is a significant tourist destination in Colorado for its skiing and winter sports. However, it is also beloved for its breathtaking views and wildflower meadows in the warmer seasons.
Aspen Activities for the Summer
Around 10 miles past Aspen is Maroon Bells – one of North America’s most photographed mountains, with a range of distinctively bell-shaped, wine-colored peaks towering at 14,000 ft. With hikes for every skill level offered in Maroon Bells, anyone can experience the immersive and breathtaking scenes of one of Colorado’s most popular natural wonders.
- • En route to your Aspen explorations, stop by our Roots Rx Aspen cannabis dispensary to stock up on your cannabis essentials before roaming the trails of Maroon Bells.
About 18 miles northwest of Aspen, you’ll find the small mountain town of Basalt. At the end of July, the nearby town of Carbondale hosts a family-friendly Mountain Fair with music, art, food, dancing, and community art activities for all!
- • Check out our Basalt cannabis dispensary on the way to the summer Mountain Fair to enjoy some fresh Colorado flower or pre-rolled joints for the festivities!
Staying Active & Alert in August
When the latter half of the summer season approaches by August, many may begin to feel the intensities of summer heat!
No matter if you’re settling into a campsite for the weekend or driving around to run errands – remember to stay prepared for the summer heat!
Leaving any edibles or cannabis concentrates in your car during the day can cause them to turn into a melty, sticky mess. Additionally, be sure to bring enough water to stay hydrated during your summer explorations.
If you dare to accomplish a 14-footer hike this summer, the infamous Pikes Peak may be the perfect mountain to take on the challenge! Located right outside the Colorado Springs region, Pikes Peak and many other major mountainous ranges are within that area to either rock climb, hike, or camp.
Summer Activities in Leadville
Home of Pikes Peak and other major mountainous ranges, the Pike-San Isabel National Forest has unlimited opportunities to continue with a variety of outdoor adventures!
From fly fishing at the Eleven Mile Canyon, climbing to the breathtaking view at Devil’s Head Lookout, and pitching a tent near Cheesman Lake, there is something for everyone. With views and adventures like this, you and your family or friends will want to spend more than one day of exploration.
- • Stop by Roots Rx’s dispensary in Leadville to collect your much-deserved cannabis flower or edibles after a long day of hiking activities!
Although not quite reaching an elevation of 14,000 feet, Turquoise Lake is another beautiful campground and recreational area right outside the town of Leadville.
Consisting of over 300 campsites and 2 boat ramps into the lake, recreational activities like fishing and camping make this spot a must-see during the peak of Colorado summer.
- • Puff on a Pyramid Tangerine Haze vape cartridge or sip a refreshing flavor-enhanced cannabis water by Keef while soaking in the wonderful views of the Colorado mountains and reservoirs.
Explore Summer Fun Around Colorado with Roots Rx
From the months of May until September, mountain bikes, hikers, and outdoor enthusiasts alike take the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful weather and stunning changing Aspen leaves within the Rocky Mountain state.
During your adventures this summer, remember to stay prepared and think ahead about the activities you’ll find yourself enjoying outdoors. Stay mindful of the elevation in mountain regions, bring layered clothing for the changing climate and temperatures, and be sure you’re packed with your favorite recreational cannabis products for an enhanced and elevated summer experience!
No matter your method of consumption or activity planned, there is a cannabis product at Roots Rx ready to compliment your daring summer adventures!
Throughout the summer season and holiday weekends, be sure to check out the closest Roots Rx recreational dispensary near you to shop the latest deals and dispensary promotions around the hottest cannabis brands and products. Stay tuned to our Blog page for more Colorado cannabis tips.