Colorado has been cannabis-friendly since 2012. As one of the first states to legalize recreational marijuana, Colorado has seen an influx in consumers from across the nation.
Whether you’re moving here or just visiting, one of the many draws of the Centennial State is easy access to quality cannabis.
Colorado Cannabis Laws
- Adults 21 and older can buy cannabis at a Colorado dispensary.
- Daily purchase limits include up to 1 ounce of recreational marijuana, 8 grams of marijuana concentrate, or a combination of products (usually edibles) containing up to 800 milligrams of THC.
- Medical marijuana patients have a higher limit on daily purchases, but must have a valid medical marijuana registry identification card from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
Yes, You Need an ID. But It Doesn’t Have to Be a Colorado ID.
Colorado dispensaries can accept many different forms of identification. You don’t need a Colorado ID to buy from a Colorado dispensary. Any U.S. government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, works. This includes U.S. territories Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa.
U.S. military IDs are also accepted. Some dispensaries may accept temporary IDs, but not all will.
As of 2018, Colorado dispensaries will also accept all federally recognized tribal cards. International cannabis customers will need to present their passports.
Possessing a fake ID or attempting to use an ID that isn’t yours is a class C misdemeanor. This could lead to up to six months in jail and fines.
What Dispensaries Do With Your ID?
When you visit any dispensary in Colorado, staff will review your ID upon entering the store. They’ll swipe the ID using a scanner to ensure it’s real.
Don’t put it back in your wallet just yet, though. When it’s your turn to talk to the budtender, they’ll double check your ID.
Staff members are legally obligated to monitor for customers who attempt to make more than one purchase per day in an attempt to exceed the daily purchase limit.
Quick Facts to Know About Colorado Dispensaries
Here are some quick things to know before visiting a Colorado dispensary.
- Many dispensaries take cash or debit cards and have ATMs on-premise
- People under 21 aren’t allowed to enter a dispensary. They can’t even stand in the lobby
- Some dispensaries have online menus and allow you to order ahead
- You don’t need to order ahead or know exactly what you want before you arrive
- You can’t enter the dispensary without your ID, even if you ordered online
- Budtenders are trained to understand the products they sell but can’t give medical advice
- An alternative to showing your card is to use the myColorado app on your phone to present your identification. It’s an electronic version of your driver license or state-issued ID.
Bring Your ID to Roots Rx and See What We Have!
Roots Rx has a full menu of quality Colorado cannabis and six locations to visit. You can pre-order online or come in to see what we have.
Our knowledgeable budtenders are happy to answer your questions, whether you’re an experienced cannabis user or trying it for the first time.